New Parent or Student? Start here …
IF YOU ARE JOINING THE BAND AFTER THE SCHOOL YEAR HAS ALREADY STARTED:
Please make sure to speak to your guidance counselor to let them know you should be registered for the applicable band/guard class. If you any have questions, please call the band room at (407) 320-5161, or email the directors at PL_Malcolm@scps.k12.fl.us (Malcolm).
Band can create some of the greatest experiences, memories, and friendships while you are in high school, but understand the first step is making a commitment. A good attitude, practice, effort, and hard work will ensure success not only for you but the entire program. Financial obligations are necessary to fund the many different operations of the band and it is important to meet those obligations in a timely manner. Parents and guardians are needed to support those financial obligations but also their time as chaperones and helpful hands to the band parent association. With those understandings…..we are looking forward to having you join The Pride of the Tribe!!!!!
TO REGISTER FOR BAND FOLLOW ALL 6 STEPS:
1. When your 8th grader selects their Freshman Year classes, consult the Seminole High School curriculum guide and/or the band program description to find the band class they will be registering for (*incoming freshmen will register for Concert Band; this band class is taught on the Ninth Grade Campus).
2. Click this hyperlink below to pre-register with the band. This step is crucial for all new and returning band members. This helps the directors determine membership, class placements, instrumentation, and numbers for charting the halftime show.
3. In the Spring of the year prior to when your student will be joining the band program, there will be an Incoming Parent meeting held at the school. Please check the calendar for when this meeting will take place (typically, this meeting is scheduled sometime in April or May)
4. At the very end of the school year prior to when your student will be joining the band program (for example, at the end of your student’s 8th grade year), students are invited to attend Spring Mini Camp, where they will be given an introduction to our band directors and learn more about the band program. Please check the calendar for when Spring Mini Camp is scheduled (typically, Spring Mini Camp is scheduled sometime in May).
When you drop off your student for Spring Mini camp, there will be an opportunity for you to meet with some of the members of our BPA (Band Parents’ Association) and ask any questions you might have. It is also a good opportunity for you to start your payment on your student’s band dues for the next year.
5. Registration Night is scheduled for one night during the week prior to band camp each year. Attending registration night is REQUIRED, both for parents and for students (for students because this is where they will be measured for their marching uniforms, for parents because this is when the bulk of the information regarding our band program will be presented).
(online pre-registration for the next school year will open in March/April of each year; registration night occurs at the end of July/beginning of August each year; BOTH ARE REQUIRED)
6. All band and guard students are required to attend Band Camp, which can be found on our band calendar each year. Typically, band camp falls at the end of July/beginning of August. Band Camp is MANDATORY for all band and guard students.
AFTER YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED FOR BAND/GUARD:
To be able to volunteer, you will need to sign up as a dividend with Seminole County Public Schools at:
Sign up to receive information by email. This is the way we ask for volunteers, provide updates on events right on the horizon, and keep the band ball rolling. All the information is here:
Please remember that this is a two-part process: you sign up for the emails, then you will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription. If you neglect to click through on the confirmation email, you will not receive any of the band emails that are sent out during the year.
Need to ask a question? All the contact information for the band is here:
Band Contact Info
Information is constantly being posted to our Facebook group page. Request to be added to the group here:
Pride of the Tribe Facebook Group
Add the band’s google calendar to your phone, or check it online here:
Google Band Calendar
Get the latest version of the band schedule on 1 sheet from the directors:
Know what is being planned for the future now and help us get it done. Attend our monthly board meetings, generally the second Tuesday of every month (check the google calendar. If you are not able to attend, we post the minutes of each meeting here:
BPA Meeting Minutes
Get photos of your student here:
Band Photos (really … there are a lot, and it is free to download from our shutterfly site)
Need access to the Secure Student Information page? The password is “noles$tudent”